Thursday December 24

 When does Christmas truly begin?

In a moment tonight when I was at Christmas Eve Mass, my soul is transported back to Templeton Iowa Christmas Eve services year after year, seeing baby Jesus in the manger after Mass, hearing the choir sing, and knowing somehow that Christmas isn't Christmas without that piece

Tonight in Mass when I was somewhat caught in mourning what we've walked through this past year...upon coming back from being a Eucharastic Minister, only to be greeted by the sweetest toddler running from the other end of the pew to wrap his little arms around my neck.  Thank you sweet Jesus for meeting me in moments of sadness through the arms and love of Augustine John. 

Watching our children anticipate the arrival of Christmas morning.  Their excitement, wonder and enthusiasm is the purest kind of joy.  Seeing my husband step up and help, be a partner with me in it all, reminding me all the time how to live in the present. 

Tonight.  This very moment.  When I finally stop and let the words of this beautiful song sink in...

O holy night, the stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Saviour’s birth;
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
'Till he appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn;

When I was meeting with junior high kids reflecting on this song one of them said something along the lines of this, "I really like that they use the word divine to describe this night..."

Divine indeed.  That a seventh grader needed to remind me of that is a wonder but I'll take truth wherever I can get it.

Divine.  This night.  It changed the world.  This babe.  He transformed my life.  Completely transformed.  Showed me love in a way that the world doesn't offer.  Answered all my questions and continues to encourage me to ask them and dig in. 

Has led me to the most beautiful people and has truly made my life rich by the relationships I have.  This sweet babe, born humbly in a manger, growing up to change the world...has changed it in me.  And his love is the greatest gift I could ever ask for.   







O holy night, the stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Saviour’s birth;
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
'Till he appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn;

Chorus
Fall on your knees, Oh hear the angel voices!
O night divine! O night when Christ was born.
O night, O holy night, O night divine.

Led by the light of Faith serenely beaming;
With glowing hearts by his cradle we stand:
So, led by light of a star sweetly gleaming,
Here come the wise men from Orient land,
The King of Kings lay thus in lowly manger,
In all our trials born to be our friend;

Chorus
He knows our need, To our weakness no stranger!
Behold your King! Before Him lowly bend!
Behold your King! your King! before him bend!

Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is Love and His gospel is Peace;
Chains shall he break, for the slave is our brother,
And in his name all oppression shall cease,
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful Chorus raise we;
Let all within us praise his Holy name!

Chorus
Christ is the Lord, then ever! ever praise we!
His pow'r and glory, evermore proclaim!
His pow'r and glory, evermore proclaim!

Comments